THIS IS WHAT WE STUDY: A SAMPLING OF PROJECTS AND OUTREACH IN THE DEPARTMENT OF GEOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Article by Professor Doug Edmonds and former Postdoc William Nardin is featured on the cover of the journal Nature Geoscience
Titled, "Optimum vegetation height and density for inorganic sedimentation in deltaic marshes", the article can be seen here. Cover image credit: Elizabeth Olliver.
Faculty and students in Geosciences to participate in IU Science Fest on October 25
Get ready for a day of hands-on educational fun! Earthquake Simulator, Physics for Fun demonstration, Chemistry Magic Show, and tours of Kirkwood Observatory and Jordan Hall Greenhouse are just a few of the things you’ll be able to see and do. Activities will be held in Swain West, Jordan Hall, Chemistry, and Kirkwood Observatory. Department Science Fest Website
Curiosity Rover On Mars
- IU Bloomington geologist reports results of Mars mineralogy investigation. more
- IU geologists David Bish and Juergen Schieber analyze data from Curiosity’s instruments. more
- IU on Mars – David Bish and Juergen Schieber article on Inside IU Bloomington
- NASA: Latest News from Mars
- Finding life beyond Earth: JPL | NASA | NOVA
- Faculty links: David Bish | Juergen Schieber | CheMin PPT
- Are you considering Geological Sciences for your career? Check out the American Geosciences Institute median salaries for Geoscience-related occupations in 2013. more
- The 2014 edition of the Hoosier Geologic Record is now online! This interactive publication is a flip book that can be viewed on desktops, tablets, and smartphones. For more information please see the NEWS section.
- The Mary Iverson Graduate Fellowship. The Department of Geological Sciences at Indiana University celebrates Mary Iverson’s extraordinary impact on the department with the Mary Iverson Graduate Fellowship, If you would like to contribute to the Mary Iverson Graduate Fellowship, please follow this link.
Research Focus Sites
- Shale Research Lab
- Organic Matter from the Santa Barbara Basin
- Southern Caribbean Plate Boundary Studies
- Exploring Deep-Subsurface Life Podcasts
- South Aegean Volcanic Arc Database
Professional Societies, Student Chapters
- GRADUATE STUDENTS |
- Gary Pavlis, Director of Graduate Studies.
- Kaj Johnson, Director of Graduate Admissions.
- Graduate Student 2014-2015 Handbook and Forms
- Travel Request Forms
- Sigma Gamma Epsilon
- Society of Economic Geologists–IU Student Chapter
- IU Geophysical Society
- UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS |
- Jim Brophy, Director of Undergraduate Studies,
- Carlin C. Schrag Undergraduate Academic Advisor.
- Undergraduate classes in geological sciences. Most of these courses fulfill the Natural and Mathematical Sciences requirements.
- Fall 2014 Geosciences Schedule of Classes
- October 6: Audrey Sawyer, University of Kentucky Title: Hydrologic speed bumps: Heterogeneity in water and nutrient exchange between rivers and aquifers.
4:00 p.m. GY143. Refreshments served at 3:30 in the Geology lobby. more
- Colloquium Schedule