- Prospective Graduate Students |
- Gary Pavlis, Director of Graduate Studies.
- Grad Student 2016-2017 Handbook and Forms
- Prospective Undergraduate Students |
- Kaj Johnson, Director of Undergraduate Studies
- Kathy Davis Undergraduate Advisor
- Spring 2017 Courses in Geological Sciences
- 2016-17 Department Directory | (PDF)
- 2016-17 Hoosier Geologic Record | PDF
- BSES Program
- Indiana Geological Survey
- IU Judson Mead Geologic Field Station
- Geological Sciences Library Resources
News and Announcements
Department To Change Its Name and Update Curriculum
From the Bloomington Herald Times: IU geology department plans new name, new offerings.
By Michael Reschke | 812-331-4370 | firstname.lastname@example.org 1/16/2017
"The Department of Geological Sciences at Indiana University is in the process of changing its name to the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences. If approved, the name change will coincide with a curriculum change in time for the fall 2017 semester."
Preparations are now underway for these changes, which hopefully will be approved and in effect sometime during the 2017-18 academic year. Read more from the HT article
In Memory: Professor Erle Kauffman
Erle Galen Kauffman, 83, Professor Emeritus, Geological Sciences at Indiana University, died peacefully at home December 16, 2016 after a long illness. Erle was acknowledged as a master teacher, researcher and mentor, advancing the education of many through his passion for learning, rigorous science, and generosity of ideas. Erle held an academic position at IUB since 1996. Read more about his life
HOUSTON ALUMNI GATHERING DATE CHANGE
Attention all Field Station Alums
We recently sent you an invitation to join us at the annual alumni gathering in Houston, TX. The date has been changed to Friday, January 20, 2017 from 6-9 p.m. at the Saint Arnold Brewing Company. The address is 2000 Lyons Ave, Houston, TX 77020.
Go to this link to RSVP. We hope to see you there!
Curiosity Rover: IU Geological Sciences Mars research
- NASA: Latest News from Mars
- Looking for life beyond Earth: JPL | NASA | NOVA
- Faculty links: Juergen Schieber
Events and Outreach
- January 23: Sarah Penniston-Dorland, University of Maryland. Title: Strength and heat in the subduction channel: Evidence from metamorphic rocks and geodynamic models.
- 4:00 p.m. GY126. Refreshments served at 3:30 in the Geology lobby.
There is a new blog about the research going on in the College of Arts and Sciences at IU. GeoSci graduate student Anna Nowicki Jesse is a member of the editorial board and a writer for the blog.