THIS IS WHAT WE STUDY: A SAMPLING OF PROJECTS AND OUTREACH IN THE DEPARTMENT OF GEOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Doug Edmonds named 2014 Sloan Research Fellow
IU Geoscience Researcher Doug Edmonds is a 2014 recipient of the Arthur P. Sloan Foundation’s Research Fellowship.
From the IU Newsroom: His research focuses on developing scientific theories and models aimed at understanding how river deltas are created. The fate of deltaic coastlines is a pressing environmental problem. River deltas are slowly disappearing as sea level rises, resulting in a net loss of coastal land. And deltas are important: They are the link between land and ocean environments, are ecologically rich and support approximately 15 percent of the world population.
The $50,000 fellowship will further Edmonds’ research on predicting the resilience of deltaic systems to environmental stressors, such as sea-level rise, coastal subsidence and declining sediment supply. more
Curiosity Rover On Mars
IU Bloomington geologist reports results of Mars mineralogy investigation. more
IU geologists David Bish and Juergen Schieber analyze data from Curiosity’s instruments. more
IU on Mars – David Bish and Juergen Schieber article on Inside IU Bloomington
NASA: Latest News from Mars
- The Annual Crossroads Conference will be held at Indiana University-Bloomington on March 28 and 29, 2014. Abstract Deadline is March 7. Conference Website
- Geology and Paleoanthropology Field School in Tanzania May 13-June 24 2014 G349/549. Applications are now being accepted for a new field course. Application deadline is March 15th. This Geo-paleoanthropology course will take advantage of IU’s long established reputation for field school instruction in the Earth sciences.more
- The Mary Iverson Graduate Fellowship. The Department of Geological Sciences at Indiana University celebrates Mary Iverson’s extraordinary impact on the department with the Mary Iverson Graduate Fellowship, If you would like to contribute to the Mary Iverson Graduate Fellowship, please follow this link.
GeoSci Research Focus Sites
- Shale Research Lab
- Organic Matter from the Santa Barbara Basin
- Southern Caribbean Plate Boundary Studies
- Exploring Deep-Subsurface Life Podcasts
- South Aegean Volcanic Arc Database
- GRADUATE STUDENTS |
- Gary Pavlis, Director of Graduate Studies.
- Kaj Johnson, Director of Graduate Admissions.
- Graduate Student 2013-2014 Handbook and Annual Review forms
- Student Travel Support Request Form
- Sigma Gamma Epsilon
- Society of Economic Geologists–IU Student Chapter
- IU Geophysical Society
- UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS |
- Jim Brophy, Director of Undergraduate Studies,
- Carlin C. Schrag Undergraduate Academic Advisor.
- Undergraduate classes in geological sciences. Most of these courses fulfill the Natural and Mathematical Sciences requirements.
- Summer 2014 Geosciences Schedule of Classes
- March 10: Paola Passalacqua, University of Texas at Austin. Title: The Delta Connectome: Structure and transport dynamics of delta networks across scales 4:00 p.m. GY143. Refreshments served at 3:30 in the Geology lobby. more
Events & Calendar